The village of Chilham, between Ashford and Canterbury, is one of the most attractive villages in the Kent Downs.
The historic square and the small lanes leading to it are lined with Tudor and Jacobean houses. The church was mentioned in the Domesday Book in 1086 and is reputed to be the burial place of St Augustine.
Look out for the plaque in the White Horse Pub commemorating a story concerning the vicar during the Civil War who backed the Parliamentarians and subsequently had to seek lodgings in the White Horse.
A mill was also recorded at this site in the Domesday Book; The existing mill dates from the 19th century and has been restored by Mid Kent Water who own the site. It stopped production in 1934 and is now used as a pumping station.