Medway • Birling to Cuxton; Wouldham to Aylesford
- Wooded upper scarps.
- Wide views across the river, river corridor settlements and south towards the greensand ridge.
- Trimmed remnant hedges surround large arable fields on the scarp foot.
- Riverside marshes.
- Brick and flint buildings.
- Rolling, intensively cultivated fields.
- Swathes of dense mixed woodland.
- Mosaic of unimproved grassland and scrub.
- Views over adjacent chalk pits and quarries.
- Industrial history of Medway.
Overall Landscape Character Objectives
- To improve the quality of the rural landscape by conserving the scarp woodlands and by establishing a new structure of hedgerows and shaws on the slopes to balance the industrial landscape and the valley bottom.
- To control further encroachment of development into the AONB and urbanisation.