Kemsing Vale • Kemsing to Ryarsh
- Steep scarp with a patchwork of woodland dominated by beech, yew and whitebeam.
- Rough, unimproved chalk grassland.
- Magnificent views southwards from scarp.
- Thick, overgrown hedges along Pilgrim’s Way.
- Large, intensively cultivated scarp foot arable fields.
- Strong pattern of trimmed hedges with frequent hedgerow trees in the vale.
- Traditional brick and flint, and ragstone estate houses and farmsteads.
- Individual mature trees.
- Visual impact of motorways.
Overall Landscape Character Objectives
- To protect and enhance the mosaic of scarp woodlands and unimproved chalk grassland, while improving the quality and extent of the existing hedges and woodlands in the vale.
- To reduce the impact of major roads in the landscape.