The Kent Downs is one of the most beautiful protected landscapes, so step away from the busy roads and explore the countryside and you will discover a wealth of heritage, beauty, a landscape seething with wildlife and yes the most delicious local food whether you are visiting for a day of staying longer.  Discover the dramatic chalk downs landscape, our seascape - the white cliffs and enjoy the wildlife, the butterflies, the orchids, bridleways and our national trail, the North Downs Way.  Explore the countryside on foot, bicycle and horseback. There are many country parks, woodlands and nature reserves and a wealth of sites managed by the Kent Wildlife Trust, Woodland Trust, Natural England and the Forestry Commission to be discovered all for their own particular beauty.  Hidden amongst the chalk grassland you may spot the Adonis blue butterfly whilst the ancient woodlands plays host to the lady orchard, and ancient majestic trees can be seen in the extensive parkland surrounding the large estates. 

Here in the Kent Downs a wealth of built and natural heritage can be found.  Take a walk round the Western Heights at Dover, a Napoleonic site but with earlier histories, Samphire Hoe, the new land below the white cliffs or Ightham Mote a house managed by the National Trust.  Criss-cross the hills and valleys absorbing the stunning landscape whilst discovering the hidden settlements and picturesque villages, Chilham with its Tudor houses surrounding the village square.   Elham nestles in the valley playing host to the Nailbourne, often known as Woe Waters which rises from underground when the weather has been extremely wet and meanders its way through the valley bottom.

With so many beautiful villages to visit and an enormous variety of places to eat and drink ‘Our Land’ in the Kent Downs is a one stop shop to access information for many of these sites for both holidays and eateries.  Check out places to go, what to do and see, and where to stay, and how to get here.  We are just a very short distance from London with fast rail access to many towns on the edge of the Kent Downs Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.  Visit parish sites or local visitor information centres for more information on the downland villages, and use the interactive map to find a selection of  visitor attractions nature reserves, countryparks, woodlands and much, much more  . . .

Local tourism information

The Kent Downs falls within a number of Districts, many of whom provide excellent information for the visitor. Follow the link  for information provided by tourism associations and tourism offices.Local Visitor Information Centres

The Kent Downs has much to offer but can you find it?  Throughout this stunning landscape inspiring panels with simple pictorial maps and detailed information of where to walk can be found. 

Map Reading

Did you know it is said that just 10% people are able to read maps? If you think that you fall within the remaining 90% then perhaps the Ordnance Survey’s free leaflets on ‘map reading made easy’ may be of use.  For a quick lesson go to the teachers map reading guide in our Landscape Education Project for schools. Or go to the Ordnance Survey’s website and download their leaflets available in pdf format.

When visiting the Kent Downs, remember the Countryside Code:

◦ Be safe – plan ahead and follow any signs.
◦ Leave gates and property as you find them.
◦ Protect plants and animals, and take your litter home.
◦ Keep dogs under close control.
◦ Consider other people.
◦ Respect, protect and enjoy

Further Information

Explore Kent - for ideas of things to do in a place near you

Visit Kent  - for places to stay and explore

Woodland Trust

Kent Wildlife Trust


Darent Valley Landscape Partnership Scheme

Samuel Palmer’s Earthly Paradise Led by the Kent Downs Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB), the Darent Valley Landscape Partnership Scheme (DVLPS) is an...

North Downs Way

The North Downs Way is a National Trail which runs from Farnham in Surrey to Dover in Kent, following the highest point of the North...

What to See and Do

There's so much to see and do in the Kent Downs, you'll be spoilt for choice! This section will help you to find special places...

Local Produce

The Kent Downs AONB is a farmed landscape and its local communities take pride in the area’s high quality produce, available in local shops,...